On 14 May 2017 the Honourable Mark Bailey MP, Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports and Minister for Energy, Biofuels and Water Supply (the Minister) announced an independent investigation into the Queensland towing industry.
The investigation will consider the operation of the tow truck and vehicle removal industry not currently covered by the regulatory framework, specifically examining the removal of vehicles from private property, and considering community expectations, consumer protections, private property owners’ rights and the professional operation of the towing industry.
Mr. Michael Forde was appointed the Review Chairperson to conduct the investigation. He is inviting submissions from the public, including identified stakeholders such as your organisation, to inform my examination of the issues.
Under the investigation’s terms of reference I am required to consider the following matters:
- Whether there is a need for legal clarification of the circumstances where a vehicle parked on private property may be legally towed and if there are other appropriate mechanisms for regulating these practices beyond existing transport regulations.
- Whether minimum signage standards should be established for private parking.
- Whether fees and charges for towing and storage should be regulated and in what manner.
- Whether the maximum distance a vehicle may be towed should be restricted.
- Whether consumer protections such as limiting ‘spotting’ practices are needed.
- Whether existing licensing and accreditation schemes could be expanded to cover the practice of removing vehicles from private property.
- How privacy can be adequately protected when drivers interact with tow truck companies.
- What supporting education and communication measures could be implemented.
- How any proposed regulatory reforms would be enforced, including by which agencies.
- Other matters as related to the terms of engagement.
The investigation report is due by mid-August 2017.
You can make a submission on the matters raised in the terms of reference, as outline above, to:
|Post||Towing Industry Investigation|
C-/Department of Transport and Main Roads
PO Box 673
Fortitude Valley Qld 4006
All submissions must be made in writing, and should clearly identify the issues being addressed and, if practicable, provide reasons and supporting details. If making a submission please also note the privacy information outlined below.
Submissions close on Friday 9 June 2017. Please provide any comment or submission by this date as I cannot guarantee that submissions received after this date will be considered.
Please feel free to pass this invitation for submissions on to anyone you believe might be interested in this issue.